Thursday, May 12, 2016

Event 2: LACMA

Michel's Ship
            For my second event of the quarter I attended the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA). This massive art center bestowed countless art works varying in design, technique, and form. After attending this center I discovered similarities in artwork that correlates to our class. Through two pieces at the museum, I was able to draw a comparison to our lessons regarding the synthesis of math, science, and art, as well as, medical technologies.
            First, the painting, Ship by Robert Michel, caught my immediate attention. This painting displays the “nuts and bolts” of the ship in an artistic manner, depicting the engine, cargo, wheels, and specific designs upon the ship. The individual sections of this work are all overlapped onto one another and brings artistic flare to the scientific elements and features. When I saw this piece I related this back to architecture and how architects use individual elements and then piece them together to create their work. I believe that Michel artistically places the scientific foundation (pieces of the ship) together, epitomizing what Professor Vesna discussed in lecture; specifically that science is heavily integrated in art.
Picasso's Centaur
            Secondly, Pablo Picasso’s Centaur is relatable to our lectures on medical technologies, specifically x-rays. The centaur is created in a three-dimensional figure, displaying its height and width. Additionally, this piece displays all of the bones that run through out the body of the centaur. When walking past this work, I immediately thought of the advancement in medical technologies and William  Röntgen’s x-rays. X-rays are non-invasive medical machines that can take images of an individual’s bones. For me, Picasso intended to have his centaur convey the image of an x-ray, which elevates the meaning of the piece, giving me the impression that this centaur is a real being and similar to humans.

Ticket standing at urban lights within LACMA
            All in all, I felt that my visit to LACMA was definitely worth my while and a place I would recommend to fellow students. This museum center has a plethora of art that can be seen and perceived in a number of different ways. For me, I interpreted the pieces in relation to our prior course material, but for other students it may provide them with a life-changing opportunity to step back and interpret the work the way perceive it.
          

           


No comments:

Post a Comment